Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Foodie

I am not a big eater but I like my food to taste good, albeit whatever little I eat. So when my female colleague, MP, invited us over for dinner, I was sceptic. The confidence she had in her own culinary skills wasnt encouraging.


The aspect of sumptious food that has always fascinated me is the process of making it. Its a skill to cook good food, get the portions just right and also make it look delicious. A skill that I can never possess. One thing that I have learnt about myself is that I am not a perfectionist and can never be. A good cook is a perfectionist, period. No looking glass needs to tell you that.


So yesterday was the D-day for her. And she took charge just as she had to. The five of us were encouraged to contribute in various activities that I mentioned earlier has fascinated me. I have always maintained a safe distance from the kitchen even at home, and so that some earlier disastrous episodes of my brief forays into the kitchen does not come back to haunt me, I decided to stay back and wait for the end product.


2 of my male colleagues were not to be undone. They turned out to be experts in cutting vegetables and making sure its cut the right way. Of course there was other delicacies in store of us along the way, be it PM's almost innocuous one liners that tickled our funny bones or SB's devouring of raw vegetables which even today continues to amaze me.

Ok, now for the end product. The pulav turned out to be brilliant, its the best food I have eaten in Walldorf to say the least and thats probably an understatement. The ingredients and spices seemed to just right. To go with was Raitha which made the combination all the more awesome. Ok, so MP wasnt an amateur afterall. No wait, we are not done yet. Dessert was mouthfulls of flavored buttermilk that had me asking for more.

It was just after midnight that we started the feast. As the age old adage goes, the rewards are sweet for the one who waits. So now its again a wait for more invites from MP and more exercise for the taste buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment